It’s all the time attention-grabbing to me once I run throughout an audio firm I’ve by no means heard of earlier than. I’ve reviewed so many audio merchandise I didn’t assume there may very well be any extra firms on the market. The Bluesound Pulse 2i is my first expertise with Bluesound. The firm says it’s an alliance of audiophiles devoted to delivering on the promise of wi-fi, digitally good high-fidelity audio.
Bluesound’s web site and different units definitely level to a high-end premium product, and I used to be intrigued to study extra about them. The Bluesound Pulse 2i is a multi-room-music streaming speaker and its look, really feel and sound definitely compete with the likes of SONOS. Read on for the total overview of the Bluesound Pulse 2i.
The Bluesound Pulse 2i has the next options and specs:
- Supported File Formats:
- MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, ALAC, OPUS
Hi-Res codecs – FLAC, MQA, WAV, AIFF
- MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, ALAC, OPUS
- Native Sampling Rates:
- Bit Depths:
- Frequency Response: 40Hz – 20kHz ±1.5dB, -10dB @ 33Hz
- THD+N, 0.030%
- Power Output:
- 150W whole system energy, bi-amplified
- 65W x 2 Woofer; 10W x 2 Tweeter
- 2 x 5.25” (133mm) Woofers
- 2 x 1” (25mm) Tweeters
- Supported Operating Systems:
- iOS, Android, Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, macOS X 7-10
- Free Internet Radio:
- TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio, Calm Radio, Radio Paradise, LiveXLive, Radio.com
- Supported Cloud Services:
- Spotify, Amazon Music HD, TIDAL, Deezer , Qobuz, HighResAudio (VAULT Required), Napster, KKBox, Bugs, Taihe Music ZONE, SoundMachine, IDAGIO, OraStream
- Voice Control Integrations:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Ethernet RJ45, GigE
- Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac, dual-band)
- 1 x Type-A port for connection to USB reminiscence sticks (Fat32 or NTFS formatted) and supported peripherals
- 1 x Type-B (mini) for product servicing
- Audio Input:
- Audio Output:
- Headphone output – 3.5 Stereo
- Bluetooth Quality:
- Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD wi-fi built-in
- Bluetooth Connectivity:
- Two-Way (transmit & obtain)
- Universal tri-pin AC Cord enter (100 – 240AC)
- Mobile Operating System:
- BluOS – Free Android and iOS App Available Online at Google Play and Apple App Store
- Simple top-panel contact controls.
- IR Sensor in-built – Front panel
- ARM® CORTEX™ A9, 1 GHz
- Unit Weight:
- Gross Dimensions:
- 420 x 198 x 192 mm
- 16.5 x 7.8 x 7.55 in
- Power Consumption (Idle):
- 2x AC energy cords (Europe & North America)
- Toslink Optical to three.5mm Mini Adaptor
- Ethernet Cable
- Safety/Warranty Guide
- Quick Setup Guide
- Storage Environment:
- -10° C to 50° C, 20% to 80% relative humidity
- Operating Environment:
What’s In The Box
- Bluesound Pulse 2i
- Power Cord
- Optical Cable
- Manuals and Documentation
Bluesound deserves a giant thumbs up for the design of the Pulse 2i. It’s definitely completely different however not so loopy that it’s not enticing. The Bluesound Pulse 2i combines curves with angular traces, which offers the speaker’s distinctive look.
The supplies used for development fluctuate from metallic, plastic, and a tough rubber-like floor. Everything feels very effectively constructed and sturdy, and the Pulse 2i isn’t heavy, given its dimension.
The entrance of the speaker has a metallic grill with the Bluesound emblem on the high and centered. The high of the speaker has a really good built-in deal with that additionally homes the contact controls. These controls management the playback options reminiscent of play/pause and quantity up/down. The Bluesound identify can also be situated on this panel and seems to be elegant, not gaudy in any respect.
The rear of the Bluesound Pulse 2i has a wide range of connections, together with a LAN port, USB port, mini-USB port, AUX port, Optical Port, Service button, and energy port.
Overall, the design of the Bluesound Pulse 2i is sleek, distinctive, and minimally conceived. It reminds us of different high-end audio system available on the market, and it ought to be competing in opposition to these exact same audio system.
Ease of Use/Setup
The Bluesound Pulse 2i is easy to arrange. You can set this up with out the software program or app; energy it up and head to your gadget’s Bluetooth settings to attach.
If you need to use the app and maintain your Pulse 2i’s firmware up to date, it’s best to set it up by way of the app. That’s so simple as downloading the app and selecting to hook up with the Bluesound Pulse 2i, extra on that within the subsequent part.
Overall, setup is useless easy whether or not you’re utilizing simply Bluetooth or utilizing the app. Playback controls are additionally tremendous easy and very easy.
As I discussed earlier than, there isn’t a want to make use of the Bluesound app when you don’t need to. You can Bluetooth into the Bluesound Pulse 2i and be carried out. But if you wish to replace the firmware or use one in every of your music streaming companies throughout the Bluesound app, you’ll must obtain the app.
Let me begin with my two cons of this app. First, there isn’t a choice to sync and use your Apple Music account throughout the app. You can definitely nonetheless use Apple Music and merely Bluetooth over, however then you must toggle between apps to regulate EQ and whatnot. Second, the person interface feels dated, and the iOS model feels extra like a ported Android app, not like a correct iOS app.
This is to not say the app isn’t useful; you will get issues carried out in it. I might have simply favored to see a nicer, extra fluid person interface. As for Apple Music, perhaps that will likely be added later, and perhaps that has to do with Apple not permitting them to incorporate it. The music companies you may combine with are:
- Amazon Music
- Calm Radio
- Custom Channels
- Neil Young Archives
- Radio Paradise
- XIAMI MUSIC
The app additionally permits you to arrange playlists, presets, and favorites. When you go into My Players, the Bluesound Pulse 2i will present up there. Here you may select 3 primary EQ settings, together with TV, Music, and Movie.
Going deeper into the menu you’ll discover a number of extra settings that may impression the sound.
- Front Row: Brings the music ahead giving the phantasm of being within the entrance row of a live performance.
- Wide Mode: This makes the music really feel extra immersive and you have got the choice of Off, Wide, and Wider.
- Enhanced Dialog: This places emphasis on the vocals or voices over the music and background. Useful for films and TV.
- Late Night: This takes blunts a few of the highs and mids, giving the music a extra rounded and tender sound.
- Deep Bass: This pushes the bass ahead and actually brings it to the entrance however with out it overpowering every thing else.
You even have sliders for Treble and Bass, and you may modify them from -6dB to +6dB. You also can join through AUX or Optical when you most well-liked to not use Bluetooth or app streaming.
Overall, the app works and is useful. Since I take advantage of Apple Music, the one actual cause to make use of the app is firmware updates and the EQ. Once the EQ is ready up, there’s nothing a lot the app is sweet for in my case. But when you’re utilizing one of many supported streaming companies, you may management every thing from the app, in order that’s handy for you.
Out of the field and with out the app, the Bluesound Pulse 2i has a really flat sound. I often like a flat and stage sound signature, however this sounded a bit too flat.
The EQ settings within the app improved the sound immensely. I extremely advocate utilizing the app not just for the firmware updates but additionally for the EQ. I ended up being very proud of the Wide Mode (Wider) setting, and humorous sufficient, the Deep Bass engaged. Considering I’m not an enormous fan of thumping bass, I discovered it humorous that I would really like that setting.
But provided that the out of the field sound is so flat, it’s not stunning that I selected these EQ settings. I additionally pulled the highs down 1dB and the lows up 1dB.
Once I had the EQ the place I needed it, the sound on the Bluesound Pulse 2i is basically vibrant and wealthy. It fills a really good sized bed room and not using a drawback. I additionally love that it has an impartial quantity management. So I can flip the quantity up all the way in which on my iPhone and then flip it up some extra on the Bluesound Pulse 2i. The quantity shouldn’t be device-dependent. This means this factor can get actually loud.
Overall, the sound on the Bluesound Pulse 2i is basically distinctive when you get the EQ settings the place you want them.
The Bluesound Pulse 2i is available in at US$699. That’s loads of money, however it’s additionally competing in a higher-priced market with two large names additionally priced across the similar. For these searching for premium audio, the worth is there for these not seeking to spend this a lot and not caring an excessive amount of concerning the model identify and premium audio high quality. This is probably not a fantastic alternative.
I’ve examined SONOS and Bose, which I consider Bluesound is competing with, and I believe this speaker holds its personal in opposition to them. Overall, when you’re contemplating the aforementioned manufacturers, it’s best to give Bluesound a glance as effectively.
*We use revenue-generating affiliate hyperlinks and might earn a fee for purchases made utilizing them. Read extra on our disclaimer web page.
Bluesound Pulse 2i
- Very distinctive and clean design
- Not tremendous heavy, simple to maneuver round
- Easy to setup and use
- Great sound
- Nice EQ settings within the app
- Price might not set effectively with some customers
- App interface might use an replace
- No Apple Music choice throughout the app however you may Bluetooth it over