If you ever wish to create an old-world chippy paint impact, Miss Mustard Seeds Milk Paint is my favourite to realize this look.
Learning methods to apply milk paint takes follow. I personally struggled with utilizing her paints and I needed to know extra. But as soon as I mastered it, I LOVED the outcomes. Several years in the past I had the consideration of attending a hands-on workshop with Marian, the proprietor of Miss Mustard Seeds. I took diligent notes as Marian spoke, so I’m sharing them with you as we speak.
Her class helped me obtain the ultimate end of latest (made to look previous) wedding ceremony “altar” which was a vintage-looking mantel that we constructed made to appear like an architectural salvage merchandise.
“Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint – Tips & Tricks”
MMS works nice on uncooked wooden. This will take up into the uncooked wooden like a stain. Made with distinctive, pure substances. Achieves the shabby stylish look with out loads of distressing, however works particularly nicely on a pre-painted floor. To obtain the chippy look there are a couple of methods which I’ll clarify beneath.
Other issues to notice about MMS paint:
- It’s unpredictable
- Must be keen to go together with regardless of the consequence is likely to be. This is NOT the paint to make use of if you wish to management the outcomes.
- If you don’t need the chippy look add a bonding agent for a smoother end
- Works nicely on Ikea items
- Would be arduous to strip this paint, however you may definitely paint over it later.
Milk Paint Mixing Formula:
- Ratio –add water till it’s watery and the paint flows nicely. If it’s lumpy — then it’s too thick. Watery is sweet!
- Curio – this can be a a darkish brown paint MMS colour that may act as a stain on plain wooden.
- Distress / beat up the board so as to add to it’s distressed end
- Ok to make use of a sprayer however pressure it first, milk paint tends to be grainy. Grainy is regular and is well sanded off.
Can use any high coat that you simply love over Milk Paint…mix it with the mix of merchandise you want. Adding a matte poly over high will cease the chipping from persevering with (if that’s the look that you simply’re going for). Although you do NOT wish to apply an oil primarily based high coat on white which might yellow the piece.
3 totally different waxes
- Furniture Wax: excessive focus of bees wax. Apply with a fabric in your fingertip. Don’t use an excessive amount of. consider it as a lotion, not a nailpolish and work it into the grain of the wooden. A matte high coat could be okay.
- Antiquing Wax – most waxes are meant for use as a stain and a wax in a single. Not this wax! Her waxes go on a lot thinner and lighter.
- White Wax – STENCILING WITH WHITE WAX! it lightens a colour appears pale.
Tip! You can combine the white and antiquing wax collectively, and also you get a gray wax. Great for creating that Restoration Hardware look on pure wooden items. Mix with white wax layers to get it good.
Aging happens naturally in grooves, corners of a furnishings piece. You can simulate the “antiquing” impact by making use of a product to the low level of the piece, meaning the grooves or recesses or the dings, wiping it away from the excessive factors. Antiquing will mute / darken the colour of the bottom paint.
The act of eradicating paint from the excessive factors of a chunk. Simulating the damage that occurs as folks used the piece over time. The paint has worn away. People bump the corners so that is naturally a spot the place distressing would happen.
The “Resist” Technique
A substance that’s utilized prior to color that stops the paint from sticking to the floor creates a “resist”. This encourages chipping. Apply one thing that doesn’t enable the paint to stay. Products that create the resist method are:
- Wax Pucks – a crayon sort of product for the resist method.
- Hemp Oil. Other makes use of –> Use earlier than a second coat to offer an extremely chippy look. (OR after you apply it as a end as an alternative of wax. Apply then use a moist sanding method nice grit sandpaper for an excellent clean end. Or use it to Revive previous wooden. Safe to make use of on meals prep surfaces, like butcher block). Good to make use of for those who’re exhibiting your work outdoors as an alternative of wax, since wax can get sticky and soften. Using hemp oil deepens the colour of the bottom paint.
- Vaseline – apply in numerous locations the place you need the paint to chip / resist.
- Pam cooking spray
<- Video: Using a Hairdryer to Achieve a Chippy Effect
This is so cool to look at. By making use of warmth or letting a chunk dry within the scorching daylight will encourage chipping. I used a hairdryer on my mantel, as seen on this video.
- Wax brush – don’t use on a big space….use a fabric to use. She buffs with the comb she hundreds a nook of the comb solely. She cleans off wax and hemp oil from the brushes with Dawn Soap.
- To clear the paint, MMS sells a brush cleaning soap. It works nicely for paint however not waxes.
Layers, and mixing…
She talked about layers. Lots and many layers of paint assist obtain that previous world end. Use chalk paint as a base underneath the milk paint if you need quite a lot of colours to point out via.
White: White is a tough colour to work with because it goes on so skinny, it might require a number of layers of paint if utilizing solely white paint.
Vary distressing through the use of MMS Bonding Agent in random locations on a chunk the place you realize you don’t need distressing or chipping to happen.
In our case, we like staining the primary layer with a darkish stain. This is what offers us the ultimate outcome.
By in style demand, we construct these for native shoppers
Featured in Country Living, Family Handyman
Our love for architectural salvage won’t ever change. So if we will’t discover it we make it ourselves. The the chippy previous window and classic mantel caught the attention of some publications and has be featured a couple of occasions.
Did I take away any doubt that even a newbie can obtain greatness utilizing Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint? My mantel got here out completely, and I even fall into the “control freak” class with my paint tasks, however I’m studying to let that go. I’m so glad I did, particularly on this venture. You can too with slightly follow. 😉
All the most effective…and good luck!